ASTM A36 is the most commonly used mild and hot-rolled steel. It has excellent welding properties and is suitable for grinding, punching, tapping, drilling and machining processes. Yield strength of ASTM A36 is less than that of cold roll C1018, thus enabling ASTM A36 to bend more readily than C1018. Normally, larger diameters in ASTM A36 are not produced since C1018 hot roll rounds are used.
We manufacture rounds, flats, hexagons, squares, bright bars, etc of A36 steel.
Sizes we offer in A36 steel bars are
- Rounds – 20mm to 80mm
- Bright Bars – 18mm to 63.5mm
- Flats – 50 mm x 8mm to 150mm x 25mm
- Squares – 22mm to 75mm
- RCS – 55mm, 63mm, 75mm
- Hexagons – 23.5mm to 38mm
ASTM A36 steel has the following applications:
- It is used in bolted, riveted or welded construction of bridges, buildings and oil rigs.
- It is used in forming tanks, bins, bearing plates, fixtures, rings, templates, jigs, sprockets, cams, gears, base plates, forgings, ornamental works, stakes, brackets, automotive and agricultural equipment, frames, machinery parts.
The machinability rate of ASTM A36 is estimated to be 72%, and the average surface cutting feed of ASTM A36 is 120 ft/min. Machining of ASTM A36 steel is not as easy as that of AISI 1018 steel.
ASTM A36 steel is easy to weld using any type of welding methods, and the welds and joints so formed are of excellent quality.
Any standard carburizing and hardening methods of AISI 1018 steel is suitable for ASTM A36.
ASTM A36 is subjected to the following processes:
- Normalizing at 899oC – 954oC
- Annealing at 843oC – 871oC
- Stress relieving at 677oC – 927oC
- Carburizing at 899oC – 927oC
- Hardening at 788oC – 816oC
Typical Chemical Compositon for Bars is as follows depending on size
- C% – 0.26% max
- Mn% – 0.6 to 0.9
- P% – 0.04 max
- S% – 0.05 max
Typical Mechanical Properties
- Mechanical Properties
- Tensile Strength, Ultimate
- Tensile Strength, Yield
- Elongation at Break (in 200 mm)
- Elongation at Break (in 50 mm)
- Modulus of Elasticity
- Bulk Modulus (typical for steel)
- Poissons Ratio
- Shear Modulus
- 400 – 550 MPa
- 250 MPa
- 20.0 %
- 23.0 %
- 200 GPa
- 140 GPa
- 79.3 GPa
For inquiries kindly call us today on +919987364999 or email us on [email protected]